For the Crust:
- 1¾ cups graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tbsp sugar
- pinch of salt
- ½ stick (4 tbsp) unsalted butter, melted
For the Peanut Butter Layer:
- 1 cup peanut butter
For the Banana Layer:
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 3 ripe bananas, thinly sliced
For the Whipped Cream Layer:
- 1½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Bacon Bits
- 3 oz bacon
For the Bourbon Sauce
To make the crust
- Stir the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and salt together in a medium bowl.
- Pour over the melted butter and stir until all of the dry ingredients are uniformly moist. I use my fingers!
- Turn the ingredients into a 9-inch pie pan and pat with your fingers to create an even layer of crumbs of the bottom and up the sides of the pie pan.
- Put the pan in the freezer while you preheat the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Once heated, place the pie crust on the center rack of the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and set crust aside to cool.
To make the peanut butter
- Once the crust has cooled, spread the peanut butter over the bottom of the crust in a thick layer.
To prepare the banana filling
- Combine granulated sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a bowl.
- Add egg yolks, and whisk until smooth.
- Bring milk to a simmer in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add 1/2 cup milk to yolk mixture in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly.
- Pour mixture into pan with hot milk, and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture begins to bubble and is very thick, about 6 minutes. Make sure to keep an eye on this and whisk constantly over a low flame. The cornstarch will make the mixture thicken quickly.
- Pour milk mixture through a large-mesh sieve into a bowl.
- Add butter, and stir until melted.
- Fold in bananas.
- Pour into crust, on top of the peanut butter
- Place plastic wrap directly on surface of filling to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
To make the bacon
- Coarsely chop the bacon
- Place in a pan over medium-high heat and cook until crispy
To make the bourbon sauce
Make the topping:
- Beat together cream, sugar, and vanilla until soft peaks form.
- Spread whipped cream over filling. Using a rubber spatula or the back of a spoon, shape topping into peaks.