Broccoli Kale Caesar
- 1 large head broccoli (about 1 pound), cut into florets
- 6 small cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1 medium bunch kale (about 12 ounces), stems removed and leaves coarsely torn
- ¼ cup tightly packed fresh parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup toasted sunflower seeds
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in 1 cup of boiling water for 2 to 8 hours
- ¾ cup low-sodium vegetablespoon broth or water
- 2 tablespoonspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Soak the cashews in hot water for an hour
- Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 400°F.
- Place the broccoli florets and unpeeled garlic cloves on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle with 1½ tablespoonspoons of the oil, toss to combine, and spread into an even layer.
- Roast until the broccoli is just starting to turn golden-brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and set aside.
- Squeeze out the garlic from their skins into a high-powered blender. Drain the water from the cashews and add to the blender.
- Add the broth or water, oil, and lemon juice. Blend on high speed until very smooth (if it is too thick, blend in a few more splashes of water). Taste and season well with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Place the kale, remaining 1 tablespoonspoon of oil, and a big pinch of salt in a large bowl.
- Massage with your hands to soften the leaves, then let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add the roasted broccoli and parsley and toss to combine. Add the dressing and toss to combine. Sprinkle with the sunflower seeds.