Roasted Carrot and Fennel Soup
- 5 medium carrots, cut into 1” chunks
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed, cored and cut into 1” sliced
- 1 medium yellow-skinned potato, chopped into 1” chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss carrots, fennel and potato with garlic cloves in 2 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 tsp salt, fresh thyme, chili flakes and cumin. Roast for 45 minutes our until caramelized and tender.
- In a large pot, add vegetables and water. Bring to a boil. Puree in a blender or with an immersion blender. Stir in orange juice and remaining 1/2 tsp salt.
- Serve with more fresh thyme leaves as a garnish.