Honey Cheddar Scones
- 3 ¼ cups flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- ¾ cups cold butter, cut into pieces
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, freshly grayed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup honey
- melted butter for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In large bowl combine the flour, salt, pepper, baking powder and soda.
- Using your fingers, a fork or a pastry blender, cut in butter until it forms coarse crumbs.
- Stir in the grated cheddar cheese.
- Stir in the buttermilk and honey.
- Stir with a spoon until a dough forms, using your hands to bring it together. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently.
- Divide the dough in half or in thirds and pat each into 5-inch round circles.
- Brush each scone with melted butter and top another crack of black pepper.
- Cut each round into 4 or 6 slices, or use a biscuit cutter to make rounds.
- Bake the scones for 12 to 14 minutes, until the tops are slightly golden. Drizzle with honey if desired. Serve immediately.