Dark Chocolate Marzipan Scone Loaf
From: Food52 • Print this Recipe
- 7 to 8 ounces (200 to 225 grams) marzipan, chopped into ½-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- ¾ cup cold unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk or heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- Heat oven to 400° F. Line an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, allowing 1-inch wings to hang over the edges on the long sides.
- In a large bowl, toss together the marzipan and powdered sugar to coat. Add the chocolate chips and set aside.
- In a food processor, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and 2 tablespoons of the sugar and pulse to combine.
- Add the butter cubes and pulse until the butter is in the size of peas.
- Add this to the bowl with the marzipan. (Note: If you don’t have a food processor, you can cut the butter in quickly with your hands or a pastry blender.)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk or cream, and the extracts and add to the dry ingredients. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to stir until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan and spread it out evenly.
- Sprinkle the top with the remaining 1 teaspoon sugar and bake until deep golden brown on top and firm when you poke it with your finger, with no squishy give (indicating an undercooked middle).
- Begin checking for doneness at 40 minutes. If you want to be extra sure it’s done, an instant-read thermometer should read 205°F to 212°F (95°C to 100°C) in the middle.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Using the parchment wings, remove to the rack to cool completely.
Slice with a serrated knife and serve!