Broccoli and Kale Caesar Salad
From: The Kitchn • Print this Recipe
For the croutons and salad:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large head broccoli (about 1 pound), cut into florets
- 6 small cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1 medium bunch kale (about 12 ounces), stems removed and leaves coarsely torn
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup tightly packed fresh parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup toasted sunflower seeds
For the dressing:
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in 1 cup of boiling water for 2 to 8 hours
- ¾ cup vegetable broth or water
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 400°F.
- Place the broccoli florets and unpeeled garlic cloves on the same baking sheet.
- Drizzle with half the oil, toss to combine, and spread into an even layer.
- Roast until the broccoli is just starting to turn golden-brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and set aside.
- Make the dressing: Squeeze out the garlic from their skins into a high-powered blender.
- Drain the water from the cashews and add to the blender.
- Add the broth or water, oil, and lemon juice.
- Blend on high speed until very smooth (if it is too thick, blend in a few more splashes of water). Taste and season well with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Assemble the salad: Place the kale, remaining ½ tablespoon of oil, and a big pinch of salt in a large bowl.
- Massage with your hands to soften the leaves, then let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add the roasted broccoli, cannellini beans, and parsley and toss to combine.
- Add the dressing and toss to combine. Sprinkle with the sunflower seeds.