Creamy Broccoli and Kale Soup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups roughly chopped kale
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 medium head broccoli, broken into florets
- ½ cup coconut milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- To garnish: Mixed seeds and nuts, fresh parsley or cilantro, and sprouts (optional)
- Heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium. Once it’s melted, add the onion and garlic; cook for about 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Stir in the kale leaves and cook for 5 minutes, until cooked down and wilted. Pour in the vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the broccoli florets. Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for 5 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender.
- Allow the mixture to cool slightly, then transfer to a blender and puree until smooth. Add the coconut milk and blend to incorporate, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the soup into 2 bowls and garnish as desired.