From: NYT Cooking • Print this Recipe
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- Salt and black pepper
- 4 to 6 cups of any chopped or sliced raw vegetables
- ¼ cup fresh basil or parsley leaves, or any other herb
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (or other cheese you have around!)
- Put butter in a skillet (preferably nonstick or well-seasoned cast iron) and turn heat to medium.
- When fat is hot, add onion and cook, sprinkling with salt and pepper 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add vegetables, raise heat and cook, stirring occasionally until they soften, from a couple of minutes for greens to 15 minutes for sliced potatoes.
- Adjust heat so vegetables brown a little without scorching.
- When vegetables are nearly done, turn heat to low and add herb.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, beat eggs with some salt and pepper, along with cheese.
- Pour over vegetables, distributing them evenly.
- Cook, undisturbed, until eggs are barely set, 10 minutes or so; run pan under broiler for a minute or 2 if top does not set.
Cut frittata into wedges and serve hot, warm or at room temperature.