- 8 medium-large apples
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ cup apple juice (or water)
- optional: ¾ tsp fresh grated ginger or ½ tsp ground ginger
- optional: pinch nutmeg
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnammelted coconut oil or olive oil
- ½ cup oil (canola, coconut, olive, or any other)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Peel apples, quarter, remove cores, and use a paring knife to thinly slice lengthwise.
- Add to a large mixing bowl and top with remaining filling ingredients. Toss to combine. Add to a 9x13 (or similar size) baking dish.
- Rinse and wipe out your mixing bowl and add all topping ingredients. Stir to combine, then use fingers to break down any clumps of sugar. Pour over apples in an even layer.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour (uncovered), or until the filling is bubbly, the apples are very fork tender (especially in the center of the dish), and the topping is deep golden brown.
- Let rest at least 30 minutes before serving. This is delicious with coconut whipped cream or vanilla bean coconut ice cream.
- Best when fresh, though leftovers keep covered in the refrigerator up to 3 days, or in the freezer up to 1 month. Reheat in the microwave, or in a 350 degree F oven until warmed through.