Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup coarsely chopped pecans
- coarse sea salt, to sprinkle on top
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place half the butter (8 tablespoons) in a medium skillet. Melt the
butter over medium heat, swirling it in the pan occasionally. It’ll
foam and froth as it cooks, and start to crackle and pop.
- Once the crackling stops, keep a close eye on the melted butter,
continuing to swirl the pan often. The butter will start to smell
nutty, and brown bits will form in the bottom.
- Once the bits are amber brown (about 2 ½ to 3 minutes or so after
the sizzling stops), remove the butter from the burner and immediately
pour it into a small bowl, bits and all. This will stop the butter
from cooking and burning.
- Allow it to cool for 20 minutes.
- Beat the remaining ½ cup butter with the brown sugar for 3 to 5
minutes, until the mixture is very smooth.
- Beat in the vanilla extract and molasses.
- Pour the cooled brown butter into the bowl, along with the granulated
sugar. Beat for 2 minutes, until smooth; the mixture will lighten in
color and become fluffy.
- Add the egg and egg yolk, and beat for one minute more.
- Add the flour, salt, and baking soda, beating on low speed just until
everything is incorporated.
- Use a spatula to fold in the chocolate chips and pecans and finish
incorporating all of the dry flour bits into the dough.
- Scoop the dough onto a piece of parchment paper, waxed paper, or
plastic wrap. Flatten it slightly into a thick disk, and refrigerate
for at least 30 minutes.
- About 15 minutes before you’re ready to begin
baking, place racks in the center and upper third of the oven and
preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Scoop the dough in 2 tablespoon-sized balls onto the prepared baking
sheets. Leave about 2″ between the cookies; they’ll spread as they
- Sprinkle the cookies with sea salt, to taste — as much or as little as
- Bake the cookies for 12 to 15 minutes, until they’re golden brown.
- Remove them from the oven, and allow them to rest on the baking sheet
for at least 5 minutes before moving them.
- Serve warm; or cool completely, and store airtight at room temperature
for several days. For longer storage, wrap well and freeze.