Creamy Lemon Bars
- 1 cup (120 g) raw cashews
- 1 cup (240 g) coconut cream (the hardened portion at the top of full-fat coconut milk)
- 2 Tbsp (14 g) arrowroot or cornstarch
- ½ cup (120 ml) lemon juice (~2 large lemons)
- 1 heaping Tbsp (4 g) lemon zest (~1 large lemon)
- Pinch sea salt
- ¼ cup (60 ml) maple syrup, plus more to taste
- optional: 2 Tbsp (14 g) organic powdered sugar, for topping
- 1 cup (90 g) gluten-free oats
- 1 cup (112 g) almonds
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 Tbsp (24 g) coconut sugar
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) maple syrup
- 4-5 Tbsp (60-75 g) coconut oil, melted
- Add raw cashews to a mixing bowl and cover with boiling hot water. Let rest for 1 hour (uncovered). Then drain thoroughly.
- In the meantime, preheat oven to 350° F (176° C) and line an 8x8 inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- Add oats, almonds, sea salt, and coconut sugar to a high speed blender and mix on high until a fine meal is achieved.
- Transfer to a medium mixing bowl and add maple syrup and melted coconut oil, starting with 4 Tbsp (60 g) and adding more if it’s too dry. Stir with a spoon to combine until a loose dough is formed. You should be able to squeeze the mixture between two fingers and form a dough instead of it crumbling. If too dry, add a bit more melted coconut oil.
- Transfer mixture to parchment-lined baking sheet and spread evenly. Then place parchment paper on top and use a flat-bottomed object, such as a drinking glass, to press down firmly until it’s evenly distributed and well packed.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then increase heat to 375° F (190° C) and bake for 5-8 minutes more, or until the edges are golden brown and there is some browning on the surface. Remove from oven to cool slightly, then reduce oven heat to 350° F (176° C).
- Once cashews are soaked and drained, add to a high speed blender with coconut cream, arrowroot starch, lemon juice, lemon zest, sea salt, and maple syrup. Mix on high until very creamy and smooth.
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed. I added a bit more lemon zest and maple syrup. It should be very lemony, and not overly sweet.
- Pour filling over the pre-baked crust and spread into an even layer. Tap on counter to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes or until the edges look very slightly dry and the center appears “jiggly” but not liquidy.
- Let rest for 10 minutes, then transfer to refrigerator to let cool completely (uncovered) - at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- To serve, slice and sift with powdered sugar (optional). Store leftovers in the refrigerator, covered, up to 4 days, though best within the first 2 days.