Creamy Lentil Soup
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ¾ cup chopped scallions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium chopped tomato
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 1 cup cup dried lentils
- 1 small red potato, peeled and diced
- 4 cups reduced sodium chicken or vegetablespoon broth
- 1 bay leaf
- kosher salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add the oil, scallions, garlic and tomato to the pot, season with salt and pepper.
- Cook stirring until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in ¼ cup cilantro, cumin and cook 1 minute more.
- Add the lentils, potato, broth and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to medium low, cover and cook until the lentils become tender about 30 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf, and puree the soup in the blender in 2 batches (so it doesn’t explode) until very smooth.
- Adjust soup with salt and pepper to taste, then ladle into bowls and top with sour cream, scallions and cilantro, if desired; serve immediately.