Gluten-Free Angel Food Cake
- 12 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup maple or coconut sugar
- 1 cup arrowroot flour
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and adjust the rack to the middle position.
- Place the egg whites and lemon juice in the bowl of a standing mixer. Whisk the egg mixture on medium-high until foamy, about 30 seconds.
- Add the salt, cream of tartar and vanilla. Whisk the mixture on medium-high until soft peaks form, about 1-2 minutes.
- With the mixer on medium-high, slowly add ½ cup of the maple sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Sift the remaining ¼ cup maple sugar and arrowroot flour into a small bowl.
- With the mixer on medium, slowly add the arrowroot mixture.
- Turn the speed up to medium-high and whip until smooth (there might be some tiny little lumps from the sugar, but it will melt in the oven while baking).
- Pour the batter into a clean (and NOT oiled), 12-cup angel food cake pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until cake is puffed and the top is just turning golden brown.
- Remove the cake from the oven. Let cool completely, about 1 hour. Run a knife around the outside of the cake and invert onto a cake platter (you might need to shake the cake a little to get it to separate from the center tube of the cake pan).
- Serve alone or with whipped cream and berries.