Gluten-free Banana Bread
For the Banana Bread
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted, browned and cooled slightly
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour (I used King Arthur
- Gluten-Free Flour)
- 1 ½ teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cup mashed banana (from about 3 medium bananas)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup buttermilk
For the Crumble
- 3 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch cubes
- ½ cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons old-fashioned oats
For the Salted Caramel
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup cream
- 1 cup sugar (brown or white)
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350° F. Grease and flour a 9×5-inch loaf pan and set aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Butter will begin to foam
and crackle as it melts.
- When the crackling subsides, the butter will
begin to brown.
- Swirl the pan as the butter cooks. When the butter
browns and begins to smell nutty, remove the pan from the flame and
transfer the butter to a small bowl. Taking the butter out of the hot
saucepan will stop the butter from overcooking and burning.
- Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, xanthan gum, baking soda,
baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, mashed bananas, vanilla
extract, and buttermilk.
- When butter has cooled, whisk in the browned butter.
- Add the wet ingredients, all at once to the dry ingredients. Fold
together, making sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl to reveal any
hidden pockets of flour. Fold together ingredients, but try not to
- Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- To make the topping combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and rub
together with your fingertips until crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over the
batter in the bread pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center of
the loaf comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest in the pan for 15 minutes, before inverting onto a wire rack to cool
- To make the caramel, combine all ingredients in a saucepan over
medium-high heat and let simmer/boil for 10-15 minutes, until thick.
Don’t stir too much, but also make sure that it doesn’t burn!
- Pour the caramel over the bread and reflect on how good the world
- Bread will last 4 days, well wrapped at room temperature. This loaf
also freezes well. Just before ready to serve, drizzle with salted