Honey Banana Almond Muffins
I made these muffins after a particularly stressful day of work, and it was so satisfying to mash the bananas to a pulp. I added some almond extract and almond milk to this recipe to give it an extra-almond kick, and these turned out ~amazing~. I highly recommend added a simple oat or nut streussel on top as well! Or enjoy plain, warmed and with butter.
- 2 cups white whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 large ripe bananas (about 1¾ cup mashed)
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- ¼ cup natural creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Peel the bananas and mash with a fork until smooth.
- Place the mashed bananas in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Add the brown sugar, honey, coconut oil, egg, vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add in the peanut butter and beat until smooth.
- Add the flour mixture and milk alternately, starting and ending with the flour. Mix until just combined. Don’t overmix.
- Fill muffin liners three-quarters full.
- Bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 20-22 minutes.
- Transfer to wire rack to cool. We like to serve the muffins with peanut butter and a drizzle of honey. Store, covered, at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Note-these muffins freeze well. To reheat, place muffin in the microwave for about 30 seconds.