The Best Hot Cereal
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup Bob’s Red Mill 7 Grain Hot Cereal (I also used steel cut oatmeal with great success)
- ¼ teaspoon orange rind, finely grated (I used orange peel from the spice rack, with great success)
- 1 dash kosher salt
- 1 dash ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch fresh ground nutmeg
- 4-5 tablespoons milk of choice
- 2 drops vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- In a small pot, add orange rind to water and bring to a boil.
- Add cereal, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg and reduce heat.
- Stir while cooking and add the soy milk a tablespoon at a time when liquid has been fully absorbed by the cereal.
- When the cereal is done, about 6 minutes, add vanilla extract, butter, and maple syrup.
- Stir to mix and serve hot.