Wild Mushroom Pizza with Arugula and Pecorino
Print this Recipe
For the Crust
- 6 tablespoonspoons (3 ounces) lukewarm water
- ½ teaspoon active-dry or instant yeast
- 1 cup (5 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoons salt
For the Pizza
- 3 tablespoonspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups trimmed and sliced wild mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 10 ounces mozzarella
- 4 ounces fancy cheese (we used pecorino)
- 2 healthy handfuls of arugula
For the Crust
- Set the oven to 500°F or as hot as it will go and let it heat for at least half an hour before making the pizza. If you have a pizza stone, put it in the lower-middle part of the oven now.
- Combine the water and yeast in a mixing bowl, and stir to dissolve the yeast. The mixture should look like thin miso soup.
- Add the flour and salt to the bowl and mix until you’ve formed a shaggy dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a clean work surface along with any loose flour still in the bowl
- Knead until all the flour is incorporated, and the dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. The dough should still feel moist and slightly tacky. If it’s sticking to your hands and countertop like bubble gum, work in more flour, one tablespoonspoon at a time, until it is smooth.
- If you have time at this point, you can let the dough rise until you need it or until doubled in bulk (about an hour and a half). After rising, you can use the dough or refrigerate it for up to 3 days.
- Cover the dough with the upside-down mixing bowl or a clean kitchen towel while you prepare the pizza toppings.
- Slice the mushrooms, grate the fancy cheese, and mince the garlic
- Once you’re ready to bake, roll the pizza dough out into a 10” disk. It should be pretty thin, but not see-through
- Brush the dough with olive oil, then sprinkle on the garlic
- Next add the mozzarella. We cut it into disks and then put those on top of the garlic, but you can also shred and sprinkle or tear apart and place. However you wanna get that cheese on there.
- Next put as many mushrooms as you can fit on the pizza in a single layer
- Top with shredded fancy cheese.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the cheese is starting to brown and bubble
- Top with arugula, slice, and serve!