Mushroom Barley Soup
- 1 ½ cups boiling water
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium stalks celery, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup pearled barley
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 12 ounces cremini mushrooms, stems removed and cut into ¼-inch-thick slices
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- Place the water and porcinis in a medium heatproof bowl; set aside to soak.
- Melt the butter in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion, celery, carrots, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft and tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add the barley and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly toasted, about 3 minutes.
- Add the flour, stir so it coats the barley and vegetables, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the porcini mushrooms and their soaking liquid (avoid any grit at the bottom of the bowl), cremini mushrooms, and vegetable broth.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the barley is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.