Ombre Rainbow Cookies
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 1½ cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1½ cups sugar
- 10 ounces almond paste (about 1 cup), crumbled
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 5¾ teaspoons plus 4 drops green or red food coloring, divided
- 5 teaspoons matcha (green tea powder) or 1 ounce (about 1 cup) freeze-dried raspberries, divided
- ¾ cup jam, divided
- Place racks in upper and lower thirds of oven and preheat to 350°F.
- Lightly coat three 13x9” baking dishes with nonstick spray and line with parchment paper, leaving overhang on both long sides.
- Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat butter, sugar, almond paste, oil, and salt in a large bowl until mixture is well combined and fluffy, 5–8 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition to incorporate before adding the next.
- Continue to beat mixture until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low and, with motor running, gradually add flour. Continue mixing just until combined.
- Divide batter evenly among 3 bowls. (Scoop out about ⅔ cups per bowl, or weigh out 160 g batter for each.)
- If making matcha cookies, mix 4 drops green food coloring and ½ tsp matcha into batter in first bowl.
- Mix ¾ tsp green food coloring and 1½ tsp matcha to batter in second bowl.
- Mix 5 tsp green food coloring and 3 tsp matcha into batter in last bowl. (This will create three shades of green batter.)
- Scrape a bowl of batter into each prepared pan and smooth tops.
- Bake cakes, rotating pans halfway through, until center springs back when gently pressed, 12–15 minutes. Let cakes cool completely in pans.
- Remove lightest-colored cake from pan, turning out onto a surface, and carefully peel away parchment paper.
- Spread half of jam evenly over top.
- Remove medium-colored cake from pan, peel away parchment paper, and place on top of light cake. Spread evenly with remaining jam.
- Remove darkest-colored cake from its pan, peel away parchment paper, and place on top.
- Press down gently to adhere layers and wrap tightly in plastic; chill at least 1 hour.
- To make cookies, trim edges to square off; about ½” on each side should do it. Then, using a serrated knife, cut cake crosswise into 1½”-wide strips (you should have 8 total). Cut strips crosswise into ¾”-thick pieces.