- 1¾ cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon all spice
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1½ cups pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- ½ cup oil (I used coconut oil)
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon orange extract
- ¼ cup apple cider
- 3 tablespoons pepitas
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Spray a 9x5 inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, all spice, and nutmeg.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, granulated sugar, and brown sugar together until it’s combined and lightens in color just slightly.
- Whisk in the pumpkin puree, oil, orange zest, vanilla extract, orange extract and apple cider.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently mix together using a rubber spatula.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle the pepita seeds on top.
- Bake the bread for 60-70 minutes
- Insert a toothpick in the center to test is the bread is done, it should come out clean with only a few small moist crumbs.
We substitute a brown sugar crumble for pepita seeds.