Spiced Apple Cake
From: Joy the Baker • Print this Recipe
- 2 tart apples (about 1 pound)
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 12 Tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ cup plus 1 Tablespoon sour cream
- ¼ cup raw sugar (or granulated if you don’t have raw on hand)
Preheat the oven to 350°F and place a rack in the center of the oven. Butter and flour a bundt pan and set aside.
For the Apples
- Peel, core and dice the apples into ¼-inch cubes.
- Melt the butter in a saute pan over medium heat until butter beings to bubble.
- Add the diced apples and cook for one minute, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Add the sugar and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Turn the heat to low and cook the apples, uncovered for 4-5 minutes until they are softened.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. You’ll only use the sauteed apples for the recipe so you can discard any liquids that may have accumulated.
For the Cake
- Cream the butter, sugar and spices in a stand mixer fit with a paddle attachment until light in color and fluffy. This may take 6 to 8 minutes. Stop the mixer occasionally, to scrape down the sides of the bowl and continue beating until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks one at a time and continue beating until fluffy and glossy.
- Measure out the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- With the mixer set on low speed, add half of the dry ingredients to the batter. Mix until no flour streaks remain.
- Add the sour cream all at once and incorporate.
- Add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix until no traces remain.
- Fold in the cooked apples with a rubber spatula. The cake batter will be thick.
- Spread the cake batter into the prepared pan and distribute evenly. Take a knife and run it in a singular circular motion through the batter 1-inch from the edge of the pan. This will help the cake to rise evenly.
- Sprinkle the cake with the raw or granulated sugar and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing the sides of the bundt pan