Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
For the Crust
- 2 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold, cut into cubes
- ½ cup cold buttermilk
For the Filling
- 3 cups ½-inch thick sliced rhubarb (about 1 pound)
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and sliced in half
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- large pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
To make the crust
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar and salt.
- Add cold, cubed butter and, using your fingers, work the butter into the flour mixture.
- Quickly break the butter down into the flour mixture. Some butter pieces will be the size of oat flakes; some will be the size of peas.
- Create a well in the mixture and pour in the cold buttermilk.
- Use a fork to bring the dough together. Try to moisten all of the flour bits.
- On a lightly floured work surface, dump out the dough mixture. It will be moist and shaggy. That’s perfect.
- Divide the dough in two and gently knead into two disks.
- Wrap each disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour. Allowing the dough to rest in the refrigerator will help rechill the butter and distribute the moisture.
To make the filling
- In a medium bowl, toss together rhubarb, strawberries, sugars, cornstarch, salt, and lemon juice.
- Toss until all of the fruit is covered in a coating of sugar and cornstarch. The cornstarch will disappear and the sugars will begin to make juice with the fruit.
- Allow to rest at room temperature while you make the topping.
- To assemble the pie, on a well-floured surface, roll the bottom crust 1/8″ thick and about 12″ in diameter. Transfer it to a pie pan.
- Trim the edge almost even with the edge of the pan.
- Spoon filling into piecrust.
- Roll out the top crust in the same manner. Use a pizza slicer to slice the dough into 1-inch wide strips and weave the crust strips on top of the pie. Use this guide to help you:
- To finish, place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Brush the egg wash over pie crust, then sprinkle with sugar.
- Place pie on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 350°F and bake the pie for 30 minutes more, or until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before serving.