Super-Seeded Pumpkin Cake Bread
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the topping
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped pecans
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon millet (optional)
- Any other bits of nuts and seeds you’d like!
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350°F. Grease a 9x5 loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and brown sugar for 3-5 minutes until slightly pale and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating for 1 minute between each addition.
- Add the pumpkin puree and beat until combined
- Add the buttermilk and vanilla and beat well
- Stop the mixer and remove the bowl. Add in the flour mixture all at once, and stir gently with a spatula until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with the nuts and seeds
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool for 15 minutes on a wire rack before serving warm.