Tuscan Chicken Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme (or ½ tsp dried thyme)
- 1 stick of celery, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 litre (4 cups plus 3 tbsp) good-quality chicken stock (ideally
- homemade, but water with stock cubes will work too. Use water plus
- bouillon for gluten free)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 400g (14oz) tin of cooked cannellini beans, washed and drained
- 2 skinless cooked chicken breasts, shredded
- 100g (approx 2 packed cups) chopped kale
- Small bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp finely grated parmesan
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook for 8 minutes on a low-medium heat, stirring occasionally until softened.
- Add the garlic and thyme and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the celery, carrots and potatoes, stir, then add in the chicken stock, salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add in the drained cannellini beans and cook for a further 5 minutes
- Add the shredded chicken and heat through for 2-3 minutes, then
add the kale.
- Stir and simmer for 1-2 minutes until the kale has wilted. Test and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Divide between four bowls, topped with fresh parsley, grated
parmesan and a couple of sprigs of fresh thyme.