- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 5 cups raw broccoli, cut into small florets and stems
- 3 medium garlic cloves
- ½ cup sliced or slivered almonds, toasted
- ⅓ cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 2 big pinches salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup coconut milk, heavy cream, or cashew cream
- Optional toppings: slivered basil, sliced avocado, crumbled feta or goat cheese, more slivered almonds
- Heat the quinoa and set aside.
- Now barely cook the broccoli by pouring ¾ cup water into a large pot and bringing it to a simmer.
- Add a big pinch of salt and stir in the broccoli.
- Cover and cook for a minute, just long enough to take the raw edge off.
- Transfer the broccoli to a strainer. Set aside.
- To make the broccoli pesto, puree two cups of the cooked broccoli, the garlic, almonds, Parmesan, salt, and lemon juice in a food processor. Drizzle in the olive oil and cream and pulse until smooth.
- Just before serving, toss the quinoa and remaining broccoli florets with about ½ of the broccoli pesto. Taste and adjust if needed, you might want to add more of the pesto a bit at a time, or you might want a bit more salt or an added squeeze of lemon juice. Top with toppings and serve!