Kale Salad with Pecorino and Lemon
- 1 large bunch kale, washed and trimmed of stems
- 4 ounces Pecorino Romano, grated
- 2 lemons, juiced
- ½ cup olive oil
- Kosher salt and fresh black pepper, to taste
- Using your thumb and fingers, strip the leaves from the stem of the kale
- Roll the remaining stack of de-veined leaves into a tight cigar shape and slice into thin ribbons.
- Whisk the lemon juice and olive oil and pour over the kale
- Massage the kale, trying to break down any extra-fibrous leaves, for 2-3 minutes
- Toss with the pecorino. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Let the salad sit at room temperature for an hour before serving.