Creamy Mashed Cauliflower
- 2 (16-ounce) packages riced cauliflower, or 1 large head cauliflower
- (about 3 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Finely chop the cauliflower (for whole cauliflower only). Halve
the cauliflower through the stem. Cut a “V” shape around the core to
remove the core from each half. Finely chop the cauliflower. The
smaller the pieces, the faster the cauliflower will cook and the
creamier the finished dish will be.
- Sauté the cauliflower. Melt the butter in a 4-quart pot over
- Add the cauliflower and sauté, stirring regularly,
until the cauliflower has lightened in color, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Boil until tender. Add the water and salt and bring to a boil.
Cover and cook until the cauliflower is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Reserve the cooking liquid, then drain. Reserve ¼ cup of the
cooking liquid. Drain the cauliflower.
- Mash or purée. Place the drained cauliflower and reserved cooking
liquid back in the pot. Blend using an immersion blender to desired
consistency. Serve hot.