Tomato Turmeric Omelet
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- ½ tsp turmeric
- Salt and pepper
- 6 eggs
- Optional toppings:
- Olive oil
- Chili flakes
- Start by heating the butter over medium high and add 1 thinly sliced, large yellow onion.
- Cook these onions down until they go from soft to a little lacy and crispy at the edges. They should be a really deep brown, with spots bordering on black, because you want to caramelize in order to bring out the natural sweetness. This should take about 8–10 minutes—you want a little charring, because that slight bitterness goes really well with the other flavors.
- Add 2 cloves of thinly sliced garlic and sauté until they soften, then add 2 medium tomatoes that have been seeded and very finely chopped.
- Cook the tomatoes until they break down, a lot of water has evaporated, and stuff starts to stick to the pan.
- Then, add ½ tsp turmeric, along with some salt and pepper.
- Add your whisked eggs to the pan and reduce the heat to medium, then season with a little more salt and cook until the eggs are just cooked through, then transfer everything to a bowl.