Mashed Potato, Cheddar, and Chive Waffles
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. As the butter melts it will begin to crackle and pop. That’s the water evaporating out of the butter.
- Continue to cook the butter until the crackling subsides and the butter begins to brown a bit. The butter will smell nutty.
- Immediately transfer the browned butter into a medium bowl.
- Whisk in buttermilk and eggs until thoroughly combined.
- Add the mashed potatoes and 2 tablespoons chives and gently stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Use a spoon to mix until all of the flour is thoroughly combined. Try not to overmix the batter. Just stir it until the flour is combined.
- Heat a waffle iron and grease if necessary.
- Dollop batter (about ¼ cup per waffle) into the waffle iron. Cook until golden on each side. The amount of time depends on your waffle iron.
- Remove waffles from the iron and place on a cooling rack to rest. The cooling rack will keep the waffles from getting soggy on the bottom as they cool.
- Just before serving the waffles, turn oven to the broiler setting. Place waffles on a baking sheet and top with cheddar cheese.
- Place waffles under the broiler until cheese is melted, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with remaining chives and serve warm (with salsa is delicious!).